Friday, October 25, 2013

Lupron-Week Two

Holy moly guacamole!!

This week was horrible.  Not only did it feel like a truck hit me emotionally, BUT I had the strongest, most painful AF that I have ever had in my entire life.  I contemplated calling in Monday when she arrived, but being the good little girl that I always am, I took 3 Advil (which I've missed dearly for the last ten months), packed my lunch, and went on my way.

The pain wasn't half as bad as the emotional wreck that I turned into.  At first I blamed all of the emotions on AF's arrival, but when it didn't go away I realized there was something more going on.  I now know the "ledge" that the nurse was talking about, I was there most of the week.  I felt like I was going to cry at any second, I was very paranoid everyone was out to get me, and the anxiety was horrific!

When you take the lupron, it depletes your body of estrogen, a hormone that helps regulate your emotions.  This helps the endometriosis stop growing and can even reduce some of the growth that the lap couldn't get to.  The lupron tricks your body into thinking you are premenopausal, a time when you do not produce excess estrogen, hence the halt in endo growth. The endometriosis feeds off of estrogen, so if your body isn't producing estrogen, then the endometriosis can't continue to grow.  You read that correctly, YOUR BODY ISNT PRODUCING ESTROGEN!!!!

Say what!?!?!?

I know crazy right, just crazy, I was NOT producing the hormone that helps me NOT be crazy!!!!  Oy vey! Not for me.

With all of that being said, it is very common to go through emotional "changes" and the feeling of being emotionally off, or at least that's what the nurse is trying to convince me of now! By Thursday I couldn't take it, I called the the doctors office and am now on a low dose of estrogen through a patch! Thank goodness because I do not know how much longer I could have taken it.  I do feel a bit better, which was a great relief after this horrible week! I did verify that this would not be counterproductive, and I was ensured it was a low enough dose to not interfere with the lupron.

I think I've taken a few steps back from "the ledge," so that I am happy about, but I did experience my first hot flash, whoa is all I have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment